Serious soapy business & the price of sandalwood!

This is what Pete (#1 Supervisor) thinks of it all:

IMG_2845

He just watches the world go by – as long as he is comfy and close, he is happy.

I am now amassing a variety of “ready” soaps. I really must think of a marketing plan soon!

IMG_2847

They are acting like soap when used, and smell delightful, so I guess all is well.

Even the first dodgy Rose soap has turned out rather well – it’s nice and creamy and has a gentle fragrance – very “rosey”, given I didn’t really have any rose in it – except for the rose petal infusions, the rest was geranium. We have been using it in the shower, and it has a lovely pink and golden glow to it.

The pink coloured one above (cinnamon & citrus) is the only one that doesn’t have olive oil in, and is noticeably harder than the rest. It has more rice bran oil. However, when used, it’s still creamy and not drying – just the actual soap isn’t so squishy and lasts longer. E says they are all good shaving soaps – which apparently includes that the bristles come off the shaver easily rather than sticking on – whatever that means!

I am trying to note the properties of each soap, because some of the ingredients can be costly! To see if the same result is gained from using e.g. cocoa butter compared to shea butter (about 1.5 times the price) or mango seed butter (more than twice the price). Given the soap literally goes down the drain…

Last Sunday, I made an impulsive batch of soap. This was based on the composition of my first soap (proportions of oils created by me using the soap calculator app for OK-ness) which was a good soap. I decided to customise the fragrance a bit more – I am using up oils that have been in my cupboard for a while, so I can refresh my stock for future soaps. I used sandalwood and some citrus oils – very pleasant mix. And then – I added up the cost of the soap – WOO HOO!!!

Sandalwood oil is $215 for 100mL!!! So even a small amount in the soap cranks up the price +++!!! I am glad I looked at that after making the soap : )

I have a question for any soaperers – see the following pictures of last Sunday’s soap:

IMG_2841 IMG_2840

So – the square ones were made in a milk carton mould – and the soaps I have made this way reliably heat up and go through “gel phase”.

The round ones were set in a silicon muffin tray. I suspect, although wrapped in towels, as the temperature in the shed has been cold at night, the smaller ones do not go through the gel phase, maybe due to their lesser volume – check out the different textures of round and square. I have no idea what the pattern in the round ones is from!

Ditto with the Chamomile / Honey soaps made a couple of weekends ago:

IMG_2842

I think this is why my little soaps are always much paler than the big mould ones. In the case of this batch – the big ones now smell like ANZAC biscuits!! Going to be interesting when they are ready for trial : /

From what I have read, it seems that I should leave these smaller possibly “non-gel phased” soaps for more like 6 weeks to cure rather than 4? That’s my theory for now, and it won’t hurt anything except my impatience to stick to it!

Anyway – if anyone local (you know who you are) wants to try some soap – let me know!

In the meantime, I am loving the smell of my house and shed!

And Pete the Supervisor is happy as long as I keep any soap + water combination away from him. He much prefers the aroma of stinky hound.

Happy days to you all,

Sarah x

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s