We moved into our house nearly 3 years ago. Since then I have guiltily tried to eradicate the nettles in the back yard.
Guiltily because I know, as a herb, they are valuable – but they grow under the washing line and can sting as you peg!
Despite my best efforts though, the nettles have stayed. Every year they reappear. And now I am grateful.
I pulled some up a few weeks ago and dried them in preparation for “Nettle and Cucumber soap” (thanks Nerdy Farm Wife) http://thenerdyfarmwife.com
Some went into a nettle tea. This was combined with a strained cucumber skin puree and the mix went into the soap,
and some got ground up with some French green clay that was added at the end.
The additives for this soap were fairly economical compared to the sandalwood oil!
Here’s the finished cucumber and nettle soap. It looks interesting – I suspect it will be very skin soothing.
I have trouble attaching a monetary value to anything that I actually value, hence my struggle with putting a price on the soap despite many purchase requests. But I am realistic enough to know that this is not very sensible.
Another sticking point in setting a price is that my soaps are very “rustic” – i.e. never going to be a consistent weight or size. I like them that way. They are individuals.
I know my brain – if I feed information in, eventually it will produce an answer that works – the frustrating bit, for everyone who is not me, is that one cannot hurry this process.
But yesterday I think I found the answer – I added up the cost v weight of all batches made thus far (15 in all) and found an average $$ value per 100gm then added a bit, and think I can sell the soaps by weight at $5 / 100gm.
I’ll see how that goes for a while, anyway!
In the meantime, today I will make some more and hope the remaining nettles in the garden go to seed!