a pause or break in continuity in a sequence or activity.
I think the gap between posts qualifies!
Our new baby is now 2 months old, houseguests entertained us for a while (festival people, including an incredibly handy Dutch tent-maker, who has fixed up all the little things in our house that needed fixing!!), I have visited friends and family on the East Coast, not much soap has been made, and – true to my personal form – I have drifted.
I am contemplating an experiment. All my life, I have been averse to goals. Seemingly hand-in-hand with this, or because of my Gemini sun, I have many half-baked projects. Every so often, I see one through – the soap has been a great success. I have consistently made soap for a whole year now!! Probably because each soap takes a relatively short time to make, and each batch can be different. This is good for me.
Other projects that I have been working on have met with less success. If making soap rates 8/10 for “Desire v’s Action” – the others rate roughly as follows :
- Writing – this blog for example, amongst other half done projects (4/10) – I attended an evening course in Script Writing for 6 weeks!
- Organising family photos (1/10)
- Organising all photos (0/10) – I take lots of photos!
- Putting the meditation theory into practice (1/10) – have enrolled in an online course!
- Finishing a crocheted rug started about 23 years ago (0/10)
- Working on the garden (6/10) – this one is improving.
- Studying aromatherapy (2/10) – I bought a book!
- Clearing out the shed (0/10)
- Making better use of the time I am not at work, including reading books (1/10)
- Walking the dog (5/10)
Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.
So – I am contemplating an experiment where I try setting goals and making myself stick to them. Or maybe one. Maybe one a month? I really don’t like the goal thing. It always feels so limiting. Like – there’s a thousand other things to do, so why stick to a goal?
Except that the thousand other things never quite get done. (See above).
But it’s late now, so tomorrow I will make a plan. In the meantime, here is one of the days when I did get to walk the dog – and what a joy it was!! What is it about humans that creates such massive inertia between desire and action? Given the choice, why wouldn’t I be on that beach? I will explore the hiatus – I challenge you to do the same. Let’s all “value add” to our own lives while and however we can!!