Blogtober Day 28:
I was surprised at how little pumpkin went into pumpkin soap. For a batch of about 800mL base oils, I used only 75 gm pumpkin!
I combined a couple of recipe / ideas. One (mentioned yesterday) from Jan, the “Nerdy Farm Wife”, and one from “The Prairie Homestead” http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2015/10/pumpkin-soap-recipe.html
And then I did my own thing. I used olive oil, coconut oil, sunflower oil, castor oil and babassu butter, and also some meadowfoam oil.
I raided the kitchen cupboards and mixed up the “Pumpkin Spice Mix” from the Prairie Homestead (ground cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, clove and allspice), and found a bit of cooked pumpkin in the fridge, which I blended.
I kept the meadowfoam oil aside, with a little clove-bud, cinnamon leaf and orange essential oils added to it. Meadowfoam oil is supposed to “hold” and stabilise scents from disappearing, and the orange scent, in particular, is hard to keep. I figured that the amount of meadowfoam oil I had set aside for this was roughly my superfat %.
Here’s where I got experimental:
I heated the oils (except for the meadowfoam & EO mix) in the crockpot, just enough to melt the babassu, mixed the lye in distilled water and then combined them at about 135 degrees, blending only to a light trace because the spices (especially cloves) can seize the mix.
At this stage, I poured about 150 mL of the oil / lye mix into a separate jug and set aside.
I blended the pumpkin and spices in to the remainder of the oil / lye mix in the crockpot, and set it on “High” for ten, then another ten minutes – to just reach 180 degrees. I had to whisk it a bit along the way as it wanted to separate, but by the time it got to 180, it was definitely soaping and setting.
This HP pumpkin spice mix was was dark brown (due to the spices) and fairly thick.
I mixed a little annatto into the meadowfoam / EO mix, and whisked this into the150mL I’d set aside – this was then bright yellow (and CP).
I lined a loaf mould with a tea-towel, and poured some of the hot brown HP, then layered some of the yellow CP, aiming for some sort of layered effect.
Using a satay stick, bent to meet the size of the mould, I attempted a version of a “hanger swirl”, and then tickled the top a bit with the stick – an interesting process given that the brown stuff was “soaped” and the yellow stuff still quite liquid!
I’m not sure that brown and yellow are the best colours for soap (looks a bit like baby poo).
I wrapped the soap up cozy in a towel, thinking that the heat of the HP soap would gel up the CP portion. It’s still warm hours later, but…
It’s turned into even worse poo – the whole top is brown now!!
I hope that it will settle tomorrow – I will be cutting asap – you know how impatient I am!!
On the up side – it smells great – orange and spicy.
It’s a good thing I embrace failures. This October has been a month of my least impressive soaps (“Frog in a Blender”, “Anti-fungal Crumble”, and now “Pumpkin Poo”) – what a month to document!
On the up side today, I did manage to get back to that shedding plan I had on Day 1!
I binned a whole load of dried lavender & rosemary (sadly), because I have way more than I will ever use, and more growing in the garden every day! I turfed heaps of plastic oil containers, olive oil tins and cardboard boxes – all “potentially useful” but basically just clutter, and building up.
My next plan is frangipani soap – have had some frangipani flowers marinating in olive oil for months – well over-due for an outing!
See you tomorrow, thanks for coming along for Blogtober! #blogtobersoapers2017